Before we can safely return to even a new normal, we must control the Covid virus.
That will allow small businesses to reopen.
That will allow all workers to return to work.
That will affect the lives of our colored population as they suffer twice the infections of whites.
That will lessen the deaths of our elderly who drive our economy.
That will enable children to return to school safely without infecting their mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, grandfathers, grandmothers, aunts or uncles.
How do we accomplish this? We know what works – masks, social distancing and hand washing hygene.
How do we get our diverse and fractured society to do this?
- Make going without a mask a social taboo with constant public service announcements as was done with smoking.
- If we don’t bring down the number of new cases in our city, county or state, then we must close down non-essential businesses. It we must close down businesses, then we must provide aid to businesses and workers to get them through to the time that the new cases are reduced to an acceptable level. Once cases reach an acceptable level businesses can gradually reopen. These closings should be done by city, county or state as some will have outbreaks and some will not.
- Make masks, thermometers, oximeters and tests free and instruct how to use them. Evidently, from what I see, it is not that clear that the masks must cover the nose and mouth not just hang around the neck.
- Educate, educate, educate! Tell how to monitor for symptoms that is first temperature, then oxygen levels, and blood pressure. Be clear when the symptoms warrant a visit to the doctor.
- The sooner we are controlling the virus the sooner we can return to the new normal. What will the new normal look like? I suspect that we will continue to monitor our selves and our families so that we can deal with returning outbreaks.
It is up to us. You can tell who is serious about getting kids back to school and businesses reopened by the presence of a mask worn properly on their face and maintaing social distancing.